Historical Map of Canada and
Dominion of Canada (1867)
- Province of Nova Scotia - Founded 1713. Secured responsible
government 1848. Entered
the Dominion 1867
- Province of Ontario and Province of Quebec - Part of province
of Quebec 1774. Divided
into Upper Canada and Lower Canada 1791. Reunited 1841. Full responsible
1849. Entered the Dominion as separate provinces 1867.
- Province of New Brunswick - Separated from Nova Scotia 1784.
1836. Entered the Dominion 1867.
- Province of Manitoba - Formed out of Rupert's Land and N.W.
Terr. and admitted to the
- Province of British Columbia - United with Vancouver Island
1866. Admitted to the Dominion
- Province of Prince Edward Island - Separated from Nova Scotia
1769. Responsible government
1851. Admitted to the Dominion 1871.
- Province of Alberta and Province of Saskatchewan - Formed
substantially the Districts of
Alberta, Athabasca, Saskatchewan and Assiniboia, 1882. Admitted to the
- District of Keewatin - Created 1876
- District of Franklin - Created 1895
- District of Mackenzie - Created 1895
- District of Ugava - Created 1895
- Territory of Yukon - Created 1898
- Newfoundland - Settled 1623, Secured responsible government
- Approximate bounds of the territory granted to the
Bay Company 1670
- Railways in operation
- Railways projected
The early names of certain areas are printed in hair-line type.
Inset: The Arbitration Boundary between Canada and Alaska
Limit claimed by Great Britain
- Limit claimed by the United States
- Boundary as fixed by arbitration 1903
University of Texas at Austin.
Historical Atlas by William Shepherd (1911).
Map of the Dominion of Canada and Newfoundland